(11 reviews) Author: ISBN : 9780781774772 New from $153.63 Format: PDFThis respected text from the American Society of Addiction Medicine is valuable for all physicians and mental-health personnel who specialize in addiction medicine and who treat patients with addiction disorders. The chapters blend scientific principles underlying addiction with the practical essentials of clinical addiction medicine. Many of the contributors are affiliated with leading government agencies that study addiction and its science, such as the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The book will appeal to a wide and interdisciplinary range of professionals, especially those with interest or duties relating to addiction-related disorders, and in particular physicians seeking certification status via either the American Board of Addiction Medicine or the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
A companion Website will offer the fully searchable text.
- Hardcover: 1408 pages
- Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; Fourth edition (April 21, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0781774772
- ISBN-13: 978-0781774772
- Product Dimensions: 2.1 x 8.5 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 7.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Principles of Addiction Medicine PDF
This will be a comparatively brief - and thus inadequate - review. It is entered to fill a void, as this text can't go on being listed with this site without some commentary.Addiction medicine, and by extension addiction psychiatry constitute fields in early development when placed against their clinical counterparts of surgery, obstetrics, general medicine. The illness states covered in addictions are quite nearly as old as civilized humanity, so the problem isn't want of exposure. It has largely been want of interest. Probably not until the past two centuries have there been: 1) sufficiently effective treatments as to excite the interest of physicians, 2) suficiently sensitive technical and social systems that the consequences of addictions are now clearly seen.
As recently as ten years ago, there was a child's fistful of texts on addictions: Norman Miller's, Marc Shuckitt's, a crude syllabus by the American Society of Addiction Medicine - intentionaly leaving out the many excellent monographs that actually created the field, by Stephanie Brown, George Vaillant, and others. With reformulation of a 1981 textbook on substance abuse, Joyce Lowinson and Pedro Ruiz and colleagues added enormously to the effort to provide a single source that could be used by graduate trainees in addictions. But generally, the larger the text, the greater the need to spread the responsibility across a greater number of authors; and the more difficult the task of cohering the topics and avoiding overlap.
In 1998, Allan Graham and Terry Schultz took the loose-leaf edition of ASAM's Principles and both reformulated and re-formatted it, resulting in this 2nd Edition.
I bought the Kindle version so I wouldn't have to lug the 7 lb textbook around. I wanted to use it as a textbook and put in lots of underlines or highlights (depending on the version). Every Kindle reading version I have tried is a nightmare. The Android won't even load it after I put in a few highlights. When I tried, it crashed not only the Kindle program but the whole phone. I had it on my iPod for a while and this seems to have worked the best for making highlights but now it locked up and won't reload after many attempts to remove and reinstall. The Kindle Keyboard takes several minutes to recognize each underline when I try to put one in, and I can't turn to the next page or do anything else while waiting. Underlining often crashes the program. I read half a paperback just waiting for underlines to register in a few chapters. Sometimes all my underlines disappear. Unless I close the Kindle while reading this book, it takes a long time to open, typically 5-20 minutes but sometimes up to 36 hours. It locks up at least once an hour and crashes. I cannot page back for a while after opening the book. Then I can page back only a few pages. After about 3 pages, it crashes. It is easier to hit the control that jumps back to the beginning of the chapter and page through using the forward page key to go back a few pages. My PC doesn't show the highlights I have made on the other devices. The iPad won't load it because it says I have it on too many other devices, even after I have removed it because it didn't work.
Update: my Android will now load the textbook after about 15 minutes but the highlights are bizarre. Each line of the highlight is in blue but the text is yellow within the blue. It is very hard to focus on.
No comments:
Post a Comment